Thursday, June 7, 2012

Four-harness lifts on the Rigid Heddle Loom

I'm working on my sample. Using David McKinney's book Weaving with Three Rigid Heddles, I threaded a point twill (Warp section AA on p. 6) using Blue Heron Rayon Metallic in Sea Turtle for the 4 warp threads, and Blue Heron Egyptian Mercerized Cotton in Kelp  for the 1,2,and 3 ends and for the weft.  tried plain weave, two different 2-2 twills, and a 3-1 twill.  I'll finish the sample with the pattern I expect to use, then wash and dry and iron it, and see what I think. Then it will be a lot of weaving before I can get to sewing up a skirt. But I like the narrow panel, and don't think it will take too long. Also, the colors are just gorgeous.
Pattern J, p. 12
 This shows the sampler so far. I'm most likely going to go with pattern K, and then I'll work a chevron motif into the top I'll knit to go with the skirt. Pattern J is a close second. It turns out that the 3-1 just doesn't do much for me in this combination.
Patterns P, 3-1 twill, 16 picks/in; plain weave; K, 2-2 twill, 12 ppi; J, 2-2 point twill, 12 ppi; plain weave; P, 12 wpi
 Here are photos corresponding to McKinney's "Summary of Four-harness Lifts on the Rigid Heddle Loom," p. 15.  You'll notice that many of the lifts look similar. the difference often lies in how you deal with the four threads, which remain in the neutral position, since they do not go through any holes.  I use the shed stick to manipulate the 4 threads.  I only really use the heddle block when I need a 3 lift with the 4 down. Otherwise it's quite easy to manipulate the heddles.One other thing to keep in mind with a twill pattern is that you have to be sure to catch the selvedge thread for every pass--not difficult, but easy to forget.

A little more explanation: the numbers refer to the warp threads, which are threaded in order: 1, 2, 3,  4.  The numbers in the caption refer to the lifts, which means the warp threads with those numbers are lifted, while the others are down.
1-3
Here I have to have the heddle on the block to clear the space between the 3 and 4 threads.

2-4
The four threads are automatically at the top of the shed when all the heddles are down, so I just lift the 2 heddle to align the 2 threads with the 4s.

1-2
I push the third heddle down to get the 4s out of the way.

3-4
Gently holding down heddles 1 and 2, lifting heddle 3.


2-3
I use the heddle block to clear the space between the 3 and 4 threads, lift the 2nd heddle to align the 2 with the 3 threads, and insert the shed stick .

1-4
Gently pushing down on heddles 2 and 3, pulling up on the first heddle to align the 1 with the 4 threads.

1
1 threads up

2-3-4
1 threads down

2
2 threads  up
 

1-3-4
2 threads down


3
3 threads up, using heddle block

1-2-4
3 threads down, pulling up on first two heddles to align 1, 2, and 4 threads.

1-2-3
4 threads down, gently holding all three heddles up.

4
4 threads up, gently pushing all three heddles down.

No comments: